Requirement for each category of membership:
Any person who has an interest in the general field of neurology or neurological sciences. Associate Members shall enjoy all the privileges of Full Members except that they shall have no voting power nor be eligible for any office.
The Council may elect any candidate:
- who is a medical graduate of a medical school of good standing and a fully registered medical practitioner in Hong Kong;
- who has completed at least 2 years of postgraduate training in general medicine or paediatrics after internship;
- who holds a higher degree or a diploma for physicians;
- and subsequent to (3), who has completed a period of at least one year full-time training in clinical neurology in a recognized neurology centre;
- and subsequent to (3), who has been in the practice of full-time neurology under supervision (supervision is to be undertaken by a Full Member or a person considered to be of equivalent competence in neurology) for at least 2 years or the practice of internal medicine or paediatrics with at least 50% time in clinical neurology under supervision for 3 years and has the purpose and intention to continue that practice as career( (4) and (5) may not take place concurrently);
- candidates who do not satisfy clause (4) but have completed 7 years of postgraduate training in internal medicine or paediatrics, out of which no less than 5 years are spent with at least 50% time in clinical neurology under supervision may be accepted as Full Members if the Council is satisfied at their competence in the practice of clinical neurology.
Eminent personalities in the field of neurological sciences may be invited by the Council to be Honorary Members of the Society. Honorary Members shall enjoy all the privileges of Full Members except that they shall have no voting power nor be eligible for any office.
The Council may elect as Provisional Member:
- any candidate who satisfies conditions (1), (2), (3) and (4) in Full Members, but not condition (5), of the above section;
- any candidate who satisfies conditions (1), (2), and (3) but not (4), (5) or (6) in the above section yet who has completed 4 years of postgraduate training in internal medicine or paediatrics out of which no less than 2 years are spent with at least 50% time in neurology under supervision;
- a Provisional Member may be transferred to Full Membership on fulfilment of the requirement laid down in article 4(a).
Application for membership shall be proposed by one Full Member and seconded by another Full Member and the application shall be submitted to the Honorary Secretary for approval at the regular meeting of the Council.